Estate Trustees and Estate Administration

Estate Trustees – How we can help

Let us help you with the handling of Estates during your hour of need.

The death of a loved one is one of the most upsetting, life altering events we go through. Besides the emotional turmoil, you are faced with legal issues involved with the transfer of Estates.

At Golden Law Office we are sensitive to the needs of our clients. We have extensive experience in assisting families in settling the Estate of their deceased loved ones in a caring and compassionate manner.  We can make the process of handling Estates a smooth one.

How we support Estate Trustees when a will is in place

If the deceased has left a Will, we will support Estate Trustees (also known as the “Executor”) in Estate Administration in accordance with the terms of the Will.

If assets are held jointly, the assets usually fall outside of the terms and pass to the surviving joint owner. Assets with a named beneficiary (such as life insurance, RRSPs or a TFSA) also generally pass to the named beneficiary.

How we support Estate Trustees once Probate is granted

If there are assets which are held solely by the deceased, or joint assets which are held in trust for the deceased, it may be necessary to make application to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee (this is commonly referred to as “Probate”).

We will assist Estate Trustees in the duties of Estate Administration. We will assist with the listing of assets, prepare and file the application for appointment as Estate Trustee and all supporting documents.

Once probate is granted we assist Estate Trustees in the liquidation of assets, whether it is real property, shares or bank accounts and term deposits. We provide advice and assist Estate Trustees in the distribution of assets to the beneficiaries in accordance with the terms of the Will and obtain releases from the beneficiaries to confirm they have received their full entitlement from the Estate.

Estate Administration – When a will has not been made

If your loved one did not have a Will we can make the court application to have an Estate Trustee appointed to administer Estates in accordance with the distribution scheme under the Succession Law Reform Act.

If you are faced with the death of a loved one and need help with Estate Administration click here to contact Golden Law Office or give us a call on 519-738-4111.